Wednesday, July 3, 2013

There and Back Again -- 2013 WWA convention in Las Vegas

Vegas at night
I have to be honest, I wasn't thrilled with the idea of going to Las Vegas in June.  It really wouldn't have mattered when it was, Vegas has never been on my radar.  I gamble enough by being a writer and freelance indexer.  Slot machines and blackjack tables aren't attractive to me.  But we made plans and went to the 2013 WWA (Western Writers of America) convention.  It's one of the few things that could have got me there.

And--I'm glad we went.

My opinion of Vegas is still the same.  Not somewhere I would go just for pleasure.  It's hot (we had record temperatures of 120 degrees), bleak in places, sad in others, and there's always somebody trying to distract you, stimulate you, or just get into your wallet.  We didn't have time for any shows, but I doubt that would have made a difference.

But--if you're going to go to Vegas, it's really cool to go with a couple hundred of your friends who share the same love and passion about western writing as you do.  The conference was excellent, and the organizers are to be commended.  There were a lot of distractions.

If you're interested in western writing, you might want to consider next year's conference.  It's in Sacramento, California.  

Here are some random pictures from the convention:




 Matthew P. Mayo and Thomas Cobb



with Brett Cogburn


Western entertainers Jim Jones and Mary Kaye





Rose and I after the Spur Award banquet.  I won a Spur (my second) for Best Mass Market Paperback, for The Coyote Tracker.




With singer/songwriter Royal Wade Kimes.




If you follow this blog at all, you know I really like the TV show, Justified.  I was thrilled when Jim Beaver (Sheriff Shelby/Drew Thompson) emceed the Spur Awards.

So--Vegas was fun.  Thanks again to WWA for putting on a great convention.  Now it's time to get back to work.


No comments: