Monday, December 21, 2015

Puppy Class



Puppy Class

Kassi and I start puppy class this week.   It’s the normal six-week obedience class designed to teach humans how to communicate with dogs.   Kassi is doing really well with the sit, stay, leave it commands, and I’ve been through classes before, but it’s been nine years.  A refresher is always good and I think the socialization is important for Kassi.  No matter how much you think you know, there’s always something to learn, to figure out, that makes life easier, or satisfies that gnawing bit of curiosity that just won’t go away…

I always try to catch as many panels as I can when I go to writing or indexing conferences.  You never know what tidbit you will pick up that will help you along at the most crucial time.  I've said it before, and I’ll keep saying it.  Writing a novel doesn’t get easier.  Just because you’ve written one or ten, it doesn’t mean that you know everything there is to know.  I’ll be attending a few conferences this coming year and I can’t wait to see the schedules, and the topics that appeal to me.  I’m also on the faculty at the Midwest Writers Workshop at Ball State University this coming summer.  I’ll be teaching a session on writing mysteries.  It should be a lot of fun and I’m happy and honored to be attending this year.  I attended the same workshop twenty years when I was first starting out.  Life has a way of coming full circle.

To keep moving forward, you have to keep learning, keep an open mind.   I was listening to an interview with fellow Hoosier, John Mellencamp, not too long ago and he was asked where his inspiration comes from.  He basically said he didn’t know, but “he tries to remain alert and available.”  I think that about covers it and fits Kassi to a T. 


No comments: