Monday, November 30, 2015

Sit



I’m happy to say that Kassi’s introduction to the house has gone really well.  Sunny has proven to be tolerant, happy for the company, and only reasonably annoyed at Kassi’s lack of manners.  So, the week has been an immersion of teaching a new dog some tricks, and being patient with an old dog who knows all he needs, or so he thinks. Refreshers are always a good thing no matter how old you are.

One of the first things that I have endeavored to teach Kassi is the basic command: Sit.  Luckily, she’s a natural and now almost always sits automatically for a treat or when she’s being leashed to be taken outside.  Since I’m in the midst of dog training, I can’t help but see the parallels between basic dog commands and writing skills for writers.

Before Kassi came along my writing routine was well-established, and I expect it to return to normal soon.  The first I do in the morning is sit down at my desk and open the novel file I was working on the day before and get my words for the day.  Sitting at the same time, in the same place, is a practice I find extremely important.  I might not know where I'm going, or what I’m going to write, but the mere act of sitting and the consistency of it proves to be the best way for me to get started writing.  I write first thing in the morning, but if that doesn’t or can’t work for you, then try some other time, just try to show up at the same time and sit down and do your work.  How long you stay is another matter, and that is something Kassi is still in the process of learning, too. 



No comments: