Saturday, March 2, 2013

Birds

I have always paid attention to birds, but it wasn't until I was in my early thirties that I started birdwatching seriously.  For a long time, I would go out with my field guide in hand, and spend hours in search of a particular warbler.

The thing I always loved about birdwatching was that it put you in the moment.  To decide whether a sparrow was a song sparrow or a tree sparrow, I had to listen, look at the bars on the wings, or lack of, and the stripe on the head and throat.  Every problem around me faded away.  The world dissolved. Those were good days.  I learned to look closer and see the world in a different way. Along the way, I've met some interesting people, and have been fortunate enough to spend time with a local rehabber, and get up close to birds I'd otherwise only see at a distance.

I don't go birdwatching as much as I used to, but I'm sure I'll get the itch soon.  Spring migration is in the air.


Can you identify these birds?

1 comment:

David Cranmer said...

I come and go with bird watching. But when it hits, I could watch for hours.